Leader Of The Pack,
If you are looking for a more straight forward approach to raise your dog, here are some tips to do so.
If you are consistent in doing the following things you will convey to your dog that you are the leader of the pack.
- Dogs do not get to sleep on the bed
- Dogs do not get to sleep or get on the furniture
- Your dog needs to sit and wait for their food and have permission to eat it. Choose a command word. I use "Free."
- Do not free feed your dog; they should be fed twice a day.
- Your dog needs to wait at any doorway that gives them access to freedom. This includes their crate door, kennel door, front door, back door, sliding glass door, garage door and vehicle door. You go first through the door and then give them permission to follow.
- Go out of your way to have your dog move out of your way. Do not step over or around your dog, politely make them move out of your way.
- Do not give your dog attention when they are demanding it. Ignore them, wait for them to leave and then eventually call them back. Have them sit and then they get the pets they were demanding earlier. You can offer them love and attention on your terns anytime you want, they just need to earn it.
A dog is a pack animal and instinct tells them that their pack needs a leader. That leader needs to be you! If done correctly, your dog will become more affectionate, willing to please and overall a much happier dog.